The newly rebuilt House of the Blackheads (Melngalvju nams) stands in its gilt and colorful splendor near St. Peter's Cathedral (Peterbaznica) in Riga's Old Town. The House of the Blackheads dates back to 1344, but was badly damaged during WWII and was torn down by the Soviets in 1944 because it was considered to represent "decadence." It was rebuilt in 2001 as part of Riga's 800th anniversary celebration.
Read more about our journey around the Baltics.
DPNSt. Peter's CathedralHouse of the BlackheadsMelngalvju namsPeterbaznicaRigaLatviaOld Towngothicarchitecture